Thursday 15 April 2010

Stamp Collectors



Stamp collecting seems to be the sole concern, of the older gentleman and small children, it seems to be used as a way to create a common interest between family members of differant generations, grandfathers to grandchildren, collections would most likely kept as hier looms, depending on the passion shown by the collector for his hobby. Personaly speaking if my Granddad had been a massive stamp collector, I would cherish his collection the way he did, in respect of his memory. Thankfully my Grandad was a keen drinker so I get to "pay my respect" to the old goat every time I have a pint. I would think it is very rare for a child to pick up stamp collecting without the influence of some parental figure.
So how can this relationship between collectors be exploited to add value to my designs. the connection of the stamp image to an outside media is a good device, for example the Alice in Wonderland stamps ive shown in a earlier post, could be part of a collection and after being veiwed by the child the parental collector could then read the book to the child, or watch the film with them, so from a stamp the grandparent has traversed the generation gap and spent some quality time with his grandchild, its like a Werthers Original ad in real life.
my designs cant directly use these links without infringing on copyrights but i can use elements of other stories to add suggestion
What ive been interested in, is a modern re-working of The wind in the Willows, the classic children's book where animals are humanized, they wear clothes, drive cars , etc., the original story is set just before the first world war (aprox). If I now create a series of stamps that uses the wild life of Britain as well as the iconic professions or character stereotype we have in this country, I would answer the brief in regards of celebrating Bio diversity, but also create something which would pick up interest from fans of the original book.

No comments:

Post a Comment